On a hazy, smoke-filled Friday evening in Oroville, the Manson Trojans Football team took care business and defeated the Hornets 26-0. This broke a 15 year win drought against Oroville!
The win on September 1st was a huge motivation for Manson’s players. Eduardo Escalera, Bailey Cameron, Joe Strecker, and Avery Thompson led the offense, but the real story last night was the defense.
Defensive Coordinator Scott Meyers strategically used some blitz calls to keep the Oroville Hornets off the board all night. Fernando Flores led the team in tackles and set the tone early with his hard hitting. Additionally, the linebackers and the defensive line anchored the defense and played tough all night.
“The defense showed heart tonight and kept the energy up throughout the night,” Manson Football Coach Joey Johanson reported.
“I am also proud of how we played as a team tonight,” continued Johanson “The family atmosphere is very true with this group and everyone receives credit. We truly believe that if everyone does their job we will continue to have success. Having a great group of Senior leaders is a tremendous advantage for this football team.”
Manson 26, Oroville 0
1st 2nd 3rd 4th
Manson 14 20 26 26
Oroville 0 0 0 0
- Avery Thompson 9 completions on 23 attempts, 184 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT
- Bailey Cameron 12 carries for 101 yards, 1 TD
- Eduardo Escalera 6 carries for 129 yards, 2 TD
- Joe Strecker 4 carries for 44 yards
- Caden Beazley 2 carries for 6 yards
- Eduardo Escalera 4 receptions for 111 yards
- Joe Strecker 3 receptions for 52 yards
- Alex Zaragosa 1 reception for 15 yards
- Cole Beazley 1 reception for 6 yards, TD
“Congratulations to the Manson Trojans on a historic win in Oroville tonight. It is truly an honor to coach this team and be a part of the Manson community,” Coach Johanson said.
Next week the Manson Trojans play their first home game and will face Lake Roosevelt on Friday, September 8, 2017.
(By Christine Eagar, as reported by Coach Joey Johanson)