“It is my pleasure to announce the Chelan Athletics Nominees and Winners of this week’s Student Athletes of the Week,” said Rob Rainville, Lake Chelan School District Athletic Director. “Each week, coaches nominate a Student Athlete from their program that excels and succeeds, and we would like to take time to recognize them.”
Each winner receives a certificate, a free cheeseburger, fries and a drink from B.C. MacDonald’s, and their picture hung outside Chelan HS/MS athletic office for the week.
The Chelan High School Student Athlete of the Week is Skyler Gordon. Skyler plays Varsity Football.
He is was nominated for his outstanding play in the last football game where Skyler had 10 tackles, 4 tackles for loss and 2 sacks. “He played whole game (Off/Def/ST) and has outstanding motor skills. He is a true competitor,” Coach Travis Domser said.
Other CHS students nominated by their coaches were:
- Casey Simpson – Varsity Volleyball – She has leadership on and off the court and does a great job as Libero. Casey is consistent and had great serves.
- Ava Dickes – Varsity Volleyball – Ava had 2 great matches last week against Cascade and Omak. She is one of the main serve receive players and back row diggers. She also serves and comes in third in assists behind the setters. She is a leader on and off of the court. Ava is one of the team captains this year, too.
- Mia Bordner – Varsity Soccer – She is the strongest and most consistent defender. Mia is a great leader by example.
- Chris Knight/Emilie Barnes – Cross Country – Both qualified for State and ran #1 for Chelan
- Odaliz Ordaz – Cheer – She should be Student-Athlete of the season for cheer. She works really hard in and out of practice , and she has excelled into one of the top members always gives it her all.
The Chelan Middle School Student Athlete of the Week is Juliana Perez. Juliana plays 7th Grade Volleyball.
“This is the type of Student Athlete that should be recognized for her dedication to her team and herself. She has great determination to be the best volleyball player she can be and she has shown amazing progress,” Coaches Gleasman and Spanjer said.
Other CMS students nominated by their coaches were:
- Ethan Kehl – 8th Grade Football – He had multiple touchdowns, receiving and rushing. (100 yards + rushing). He also picked up 1 defensive turnover and a takeaway.
- Aedan Baker – 7th Grade Football – Aedan is a multi-use player, always willing to play where the team needs him. He filled in at tailback and is a very hard working young man.
- Ruby Wier – 8th Grade Volleyball – Ruby saved her best match for the overpowering win against IRMS on Monday. Ruby has been a constant leader on the court, on the bench, and in the classroom.
Each winner, receives a Burger, Fries and Drink from B.C. MacDonalds. Many thanks to Brent and Afni MacDonald for their support of Chelan’s programs and Student Athletes.
(Submitted by Rob Rainville)