On Thursday, March 16, The Chelan Goats Tennis Team played their regular season opener at home against Quincy. Coach Marty Rothlisberger pointed out that it was by far the best day of tennis weather so far this season, and that made the day all the more rewarding.
One stand out match in boys tennis action was in doubles. Chelan’s Collin Hendricks and Micah Larson played Quincy’s Gates Petersen and Randy Hodges. “Hendricks and Larson fell behind 2-5 in the third set, and scraped back to force a tiebreaker, but then fell just short,” Rothlisberger said.
Boys Scoring: Chelan 4, Quincy 1
- #1 Singles: Bryce Robison (C) def Louis Merred 6-0, 6-1
- #2 Singles: Henry Elsner (C) def Sam Ronish 6-0, 6-1
- #3 Singles: Rylan Anderson (C) def Lucas Guerrero 6-0, 6-0
- #1 Doubles: Gates Petersen/Randy Hodges (Q) def Collin Hendricks/Micah Larson 6-2, 2-6, (7-4)
- #2 Doubles: Wyatt Habich/Bradley Castro (C) def Noah Hoeger/Joahan Fregoso 6-2, 6-1
On the girls side, doubles also had an exciting match with Chelan’s Elli Vegdahl-Crowell and Sydney Hawkins taking on Quincy team Brynn Nieuwenhuis and Victoria Carrillo. “The final match on the court was the deciding match to break the 2-2 tie of the team score, and it came down to a third set tiebreaker,” Rothlisberger said. “It was a great comeback for Elli and Syd!”
Girls Scoring: Chelan 3, Quincy 2
- #1 Singles: Natalie Thomsen (Q) def Abby Martin 6-1, 6-0
- #2 Singles: Rachel Faw (Q) def Nora Hollingsworth 6-1, 6-0
- #3 Singles: Emma McLaren (C) def Caitlyn Wind 6-1, 6-1
- #1 Doubles: Sierra Rothlisberger/Madeline Peebles (C) def Alysha Donovan/Mariana Ramirez 6-3, 6-1
- #2 Doubles: Elli Vegdahl-Crowell/Sydney Hawkins (C) def Brynn Nieuwenhuis/Victoria Carrillo 4-6, 6-2, (10-8)
Chelan JV wins from yesterday:
- Tyler Higgins (C) def Taggart Hodges (Q) 8-4
- Sky Zelenko/Brynna Claflin (C) def Dani/Hannah (Q) 6-0, 2-6, (7-4 Tiebreak)
- Katelyn Deal/Isa Evans (C) def Abagail/Fatima (Q) 8-6
Chelan Tennis plays next at the Ephrata Invite on Saturday, March 19.
(Submitted by Marty Rothlisberger)