“I wanted to take the time to out whole entire team for a great afternoon and night at Peshastin this past Wednesday (May 10),” Coach Erik Romero said. “Even though we came up a little short on both ends, Chelan’s Track and Field has a lot to be proud of regardless.”
With only five teams competing, Chelan’s coaching staff was very pleased with many of the results from our student-athletes. There were some great standout performances to list off.
For the Boys:
- Mereck Palazzo – 1st Team All League for the 1,600 meter run and also broke a League Meet record. His time of 4:24.17 was more than 20 seconds faster than the second-place finisher. He also finished second in the 800 meter run with a time of 2:03.77.
- Sterling Gordon-Fournier finished first in the javelin with a throw of 176 ft and 5 inches – 1st Team All League!
- Dillon Novich finished second with a throw of 166 ft and 2 inches – 2nd Team All League.
- The team of Sterling Gordon-Fournier, Caleb Dodge, Donny Watson and Dillon Novich finished first in the boys 4×100 meter relay. Not only did they take first, but they also set a personal record, with a time of 44.99 seconds.
- Dillon Novich – third in 100 meter, third in 200 meter.
- Braden Williams – second in pole vault (11 feet).
- Bert Mendivil – second in triple jump (38 feet 5.50 inches).
- Sterling Gordon-Fournier – second in long jump (19 feet, 6 inches).
- Christopher Knight – second in 3200 meter run (10:30.23).
The Chelan boys finished a CLOSE second behind Cashmere, falling six points short of the League Title.
For the Girls:
- Ava Dickes finished third in the 100 meter dash, with a time of 13.14, and first in the 200 meter dash, earning 1st Team All League with a time of 26.65.
- Allie Barnes and Molly Oswald finished third and fourth in the 400 meter, respectively. Allie’s time was 61.74 and Molly’s time was 63.34.
- Allie also finished second in the 800 meter. Her time of 2:27.95 was good enough for second.
- Addy Ivory was 1st Team All League for the 1600 meter run. Her time was 5:34.31.
- The Team of Molly Oswald, Addy Ivory, Allie Barnes and Ava Dickes finished second in the girls 4×200 meter relay.
The girls side finished fourth behind three great girls teams. Okanogan took first with 115 team points, and Cashmere came in with a close second with 107 points.
“It was a great way to close out the regular season,” Romero said.
The team has their eyes set on the 1A District 6 Meet on Thursday, May 18. It will take place at Cashmere’s Field, and all the events will start at 4 p.m.
Romero continued, “Thank you again for all of your help, and I hope that you get the chance to watch our kids compete next week and see who will be moving on to State at Cheney.”
(Reported by Coach Erik Romero)